Finally. After eight weeks I have a fully functioning, glossy new kitchen. The first four weeks went fairly smoothly, the old kitchen came out within a few days. The ceiling and walls were re-plastered and much excitement ensued as the new units went in. Sadly, things ground to a halt when some of the doors were found to be the wrong size. When the appliances arrived our fitter refused the dishwasher as it was badly dented and eventually a replacement materialised. Once the kitchen was almost finished the builder and his carpenter went away on holiday. The tiling and electrics were completed but unfortunately during that time the oven housing was damaged in several places and unsurprisingly no one knew how it had been done. I was absolutely gutted but our builder was pragmatic about it and in the seventh week the ovens and the whole unit came out so that the damaged panels could be replaced. It is such a relief to be able to cook proper meals again. I made a lovely chicken and leek pie to celebrate my new oven.
The final setback came when I tried to use the dishwasher for the first time. Half way through the cycle it began to make a continuous beeping noise and eventually I switched it off as the noise was driving us mad. The plumber came to check that everything had been installed correctly and as he took the plinth off water spilled onto the floor from a leak somewhere within the appliance. Consequently I am waiting for an engineer to come and look at it, I suspect it will need replacing which will mean more dismantling as it is integrated into the units but I am trying not to stress too much about it. We also had a water softener installed which should really help with the terrible limescale problems we have in this area.
I designed the new kitchen specifically to suit my baking business so everything is organised to make it easy for me to bake efficiently. I’m hoping that the local council will give me a good hygiene rating when they come to inspect as bookings are beginning to trickle in. This week I baked a special cake for a fundraiser my son had organised at his work. They were collecting for Marie Curie so my cake was decorated with their daffodil logo and tiny yellow flowers. It was very well received and I am anticipating getting a few jobs as a result of people tasting my cake. Right now I am working on a charity event to be held early in September where I will be supplying afternoon tea for the staff at a local hospice. They were the winners of my Facebook competition so I will be going all out to give them a memorable afternoon. All in all, things are looking up for Teacups and Sugar Lumps. Let’s hope I can secure some bookings so that I can invest in more stock and maybe some advertising!
Thanks for reading. xx